Elizabeth Mumper, MD, FAAP, IFMCP is a practicing pediatrician and President and CEO of the Rimland Center in Lynchburg, VA which was established to mentor clinicians in the treatment of children with neurodevelopmental problems. Dr. Mumper is certified as a pediatrician by both the American Board of Pediatrics and the Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM), and she is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP).
Dr. Mumper graduated magna cum laude from Bridgewater College with a degree in General Science, and she received her medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia. Her residency training was at the University of Massachusetts and the University of Virginia, where she was invited to serve as Chief Resident of Pediatrics. Dr. Mumper was a clinical faculty member of at UVA for 16 years.
Dr. Mumper spent five years in practice at F Read Hopkins Pediatrics in Lynchburg; she served as the Director of Pediatric Education at the Lynchburg Family Practice Residency Program for over a decade. She served as the Medical Director of the Autism Research Institute for five years. Dr. Mumper serves on the faculty of the Medical Academy of Special Needs and has conducted training at the Autism Research Institute. She was the State Medical Advisor to the National Autism Association, and a Board Member of the Virginia Medical Services Organization.
Dr. Mumper is an active educator and mentor who has teaches physicians around the world about the medical problems affecting children with autism and related disorders. She has organized clinician’s training series for physician assistants, nursing students, and medical students. Dr. Mumper has organized numerous conferences, and think tanks focused on improving the care and treatment of children with special needs. Her teaching and speaking engagements have taken her around the world. Dr. Mumper feels privileged to mentor physicians around the world. Her lecture tours on behalf of children with autism have taken her to Australia (eight years in a row), the Czech Republic, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, and the United Kingdom. Dr. Mumper’s current research projects focus on vaccination status and chronic disease in an integrative pediatric practice.
Recent invited lectures include:
- Saccharomyces Boulardii: potential applications for treating self-injurious behavior, Autism Research Institute, Think Tank, Dallas TX, April 2019
- Stress, Addiction, Pain & the Young Mind, Plenary session, Institute for Functional Medicine, San Antonio, TX, May 30, 2019
- Autoimmunity 2019, MINDD Foundation, Sydney, Australia, March 2019
- Why Cerebral folate deficiency and folate antibodies are important, MINDD Foundation, Sydney, Australia, March 2019
- How ages and stages affect migraines, MINDD Foundation, Sydney, Australia, March 2019
- Alopecia, Vitiligo and Cutaneous Mastocytosis, MINDD Foundation, Sydney, Australia, March 2019
- Unlocking the Allergic Triad, MINDD Foundation, Sydney, Australia, March 2019
- Autoimmunity, Autism, & Cerebral Folate Deficiency, Institute for Functional Medicine Annual International Conference, Hollywood, FL, June 1, 2018
- Vaccine Decisions: Lynchburg Family Practice Residency Program, Lynchburg, VA, June 2018
- Research Update, Biobalance Annual Conference, Melbourne, Australia, March 2018
- Case Management Treatable Medical Problems in Autism, Biobalance Annual Conference, Melbourne, Australia, March 2018
- ADHD & Learning Problems: New approaches, Biobalance Annual Conference, Melbourne, Australia, March 2018
- Expert Roundtable Discussions, Biobalance Annual Conference, Melbourne, Australia, March 2018
- The New Normal, IFM, Advanced Clinical Training: Pediatrics, Miami, December 2, 2017
- Acquired Mitochondrial Dysfunction, IFM, Advanced Clinical Training: Pediatrics, Miami, December 2, 2017
- Visual Diagnosis, IFM, Advanced Clinical Training: Pediatrics, Miami, December 2 & 3, 2017
- ADD, Learning & Behavioral Problems, IFM, Advanced Clinical Training: Pediatrics, Miami, December 3, 2017
- Integrating Gut, Immune and Metabolic Strategies in Autism, IFM, Advanced Clinical Training: Pediatrics, Miami, December 3, 2017
- Preconception & Prevention Strategies, Frankfurt, Germany, November 2017
- Vaccine Update, Frankfurt, Germany, November 2017
- Strategies to Prevent Neurodevelopmental Disorders in Children, Biobalance Annual Conference, Gold Coast, Australia, April 2017
- Case Presentations, Biobalance Annual Conference, Gold Coast, Australia, April 2017
- Expert Roundtable Discussions, Biobalance Annual Conference, Gold Coast, Australia, April 2017
- Breastfeeding & Nutrition, Lynchburg Physician’s Assistant Program, Lynchburg, VA, Spring 2017
She has served as National-Co-Chair of Defeat Autism Now! — both in the U.S. and in Europe. Dr. Mumper is also an active legal consultant and expert witness; some of these cases involved vaccines that have exacerbated medical problems in a sub-set of children with autism.
Dr. Mumper has been honored with numerous awards over the years, including being named a Miracle Maker in Central Virginia in 1996 by the Children’s Miracle Network and Woman of the Year in Health and Sciences in 1998 by the YWCA, and thrice received the Inspiring Change Award in Australia in 2009, 2013, and 2019. She was privileged to accept a national award for corporate public service at the National Press Club in Washington on behalf of the Bike Helmet Safety Campaign which she co-chaired.
Dr. Mumper has conducted clinical research at the Rimland Center and published her findings in peer reviewed journal articles. She has written book chapters about allergy, immunology and behavioral and developmental pediatrics published in Pediatrics, part of a board review series for medical students published by Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. Dr. Mumper served as a reviewer for the Journal of Translational Medicine and the Journal of the American College of Physicians and Surgeons. Her scholarly publications include:
- Can Some Cases Of Autism Be Prevented By Integrative Pediatric Strategies? 2013
- Comparison Of Urinary Porphyrins In Patients With Autism Spectrum Disorders Vs. Neurodevelopmentally Normal Controls 2010
- Evaluation of the Reliability Of Multiple Labs Utilizing Split Samples, 2009
- Evaluation of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy In Children With Autism and ADHD 2007, 2008
- Methylation and Glutathione Abnormalities in Autistic Patients Compared To Controls, 2005
- Natural Killer Cell Function In Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders Correlated With Endoscopic Abnormalities And Glutathione Levels, 2004
- Viral Studies Utilizing RT-PCR for Measles Identification and Avian Retroviral Analysis in Gut Biopsies Of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder, 2002
Dr. Mumper is married to a psychiatrist, and they have a son and daughter both of who graduated summa cum laude; her son in is a lawyer, and her daughter is a teacher.